Reflection

Michelle Tapia

Professor Steven Dube

Freshman Composition

11 December 2018

Reflection

This semester was not like no other.  This class was not like many I have taken before.  This class made me focus on all the things important in writing.  I learned that in writing we have to go so much in depth to explain every little thing because that is the point of writing.  The point of writing it to get ones point out and to make the readers understand what the writer is trying to get forward.  This year I wrote and revised my work like I had never done before.  When we would first get assigned a topic I would have so many ideas in my head that I never really knew how to get the point that I was trying to prove across which is why when we would get assigned a topic, I would first jot down whatever ideas I had in my head because I was always so full of ideas I just always had trouble putting it into words that made sense for other people to understand what I was saying.  This class really made me focus on that because whenever we had a paper assignment he would give us the assignment weeks in advance and what we had to do was to bring it 2 paragraphs for every class, but we had to bring them in revised for every class, that’s what really helped my writing, I learned that my writing has a lot of mistakes and I have to do a lot of edits in order for it to be good.

I feel as though my writing has improved since I took this class because before I was never really able to get my point across as quick and I would always go to in depth that sometimes it wouldn’t make sense anymore.  This class really helped with that because it made me see that my writing wasn’t the best and required a lot of edits.  It made me revise and read my work over and over again to make sure everything made sense.  Since all of the papers we wrote for this class was more that 3 pages long, it really made me take my time with each point that I was trying to get across because each point had to be concise and I had to make sure that I didn’t jump my ideas around, which is something that I usually struggle with because when I get so into my writing when an idea comes into my head I start typing and explaining that and completely forgetting about the other idea that I had left behind.  Since that was something that is a habit of mine, I would still do what I did but I would always go back and make any edits that I had to make so that my work made sense.

The papers that were assigned to us were very complex topics that really required a lot of research and edits and proof reading.  The papers were really challenging for me to work with because I have so many ideas in my head that I have no idea how to get into writing and in a way that makes sense.  All in all, this class really challenged and helped my writing.  In the few months that I was in that class it was very helpful because it taught me a lot.